My Blog List

Monday 31 October 2011

Great Grey Shrike at Cannock Chase

After not getting any shots of this gem last year I was determined to get some this year.  Seeing all the reports on the web I thought it was about time I took a look.  I had visited the area earlier in the week but had no success in seeing the shrike.  Saturday morning I decided to visit again and this time I was not disappointed.  After approx 1 hour with others I finally spotted the Shrike but it was distant, by the time we had walked around we were joined by approx 8 others all trying to get good views.  At this point I decided that it would be best to split up from the group and take my chance by myself, am I glad I did?? YES.
As the others moved closer the Shrike left his fav. perch and landed straight in the tree I had pre-focused on :)

I was so happy I finally got a half descent shot.  After this I spent the next few hours watching the Shrike to learn about his flying patterns and fav. perches.

The plan for Sunday was to visit Bradgate but on Saturday night looking at the weather it was decided to try and get pictures of the Shrike with Ken. 

A quick early walk to the location resulted in no sighting of the Shrike but this was expected as the sun hadn't come up yet. 

A little later Ken turned up and we set ourselves up in what I thought was a prime location.  It wasn't long before we were joined by Steve Seal and Dave Hutton.  It wasn't long before Steve spotted the Shrike in a tree top.  Just as predicted it came straight to the tree we had set up for. 

The Shrike continued to show very well and continued to show in its fav. holly tree.  As time went on we were able to get closer to the Shrike resulting in some great photo's.



After several calls for directions our good friend Pete turned up to also get a few shots.

All in all a great day with good company and a good looking bird. 



1 comment:

  1. What about the Quetzal? do you know what kind of bird is?

    ReplyDelete